A Brief History of the Lodge
After the Great War (1914-1918), the Waddon Residents Association was formed; amongst its members were a number of Masonic Brethren from local, London and other neighbouring Lodges who considered the time appropriate to form a Lodge in the Waddon district of Croydon.
On the 18th May 1920 the first meeting of the prospective founders was held, the Chairman was W. Bro. H. Leslie-Smith, the problems were many, several meetings of the committee were held and on 18th July 1920 a letter was sent to The Secretary of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Surrey together with two petition forms. The sponsoring Lodge was The Old England Lodge No. 1790.
Rev. Canon H.W. Turner, the Right Worshipful Grand Master of Surrey, consecrated Waddon Lodge on 18th November 1920 at the Greyhound Hotel High Street Croydon; there were 112 brethren present. The first Worshipful Master was W. Bro. H Leslie-Smith who was Choir Master at Croydon Parish Church for many years.
Waddon was to be temperance Lodge but in view of the importance of the occasion of the consecration the brethren were permitted to provide at their own expense intoxicating liquor to be consumed at the festive board, this rule prevails today.
By 1929 the membership had grown to 107.
By 1921 the Sylverdale Hall was considered inadequate and the Lodge moved to Hornimans Hall and in 1924 to the Small Public Hall in George Street where the Lodge met until 1940 when this hall was required for the war effort. The Lodge next met at the Café Royal North End Croydon until 1948 when we moved to our present address.
The Waddon Chapter was formed on 7th May 1924 and the first Principle was W. Bro. H. Leslie-Smith.
In 1927 His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales consented to become an Honorary Member of the Lodge.
The current membership of the Lodge is 22 .